2014 KANSAS STATE HORSESHOE TOURNAMENT
Only five days remain for the Topeka Horseshoe Association and the KHPA Officers to make the final preparations for the largest group of entries (137) in the state tournament since the record setting group that converged on Topeka in 2004 (180). Double check your pitching times and be sure to check in at the tournament at least 30 minutes prior to your scheduled pitching time.
Be prepared to pay your scorekeeping fees at check-in for your total number of scheduled games. Preferably in $1 bills.
Don’t forget about the dress code that you agreed to when you signed your entry form. We will have a sign up sheet for score keepers and Judges so help us keep those sign up sheets filled up because we can not start a session until all the score keeping chairs are occupied for each session.
The Lions club will be providing food on location for all of us working and pitching at the tournament. Should anyone have to contact us at the courts Call 785-456-5001
. Should anyone need to drop out of the tournament please keep in mind we have some folks who contacted us after the entry deadline that are on a standby list. Be safe in your travels to and from the tournament. We will see you there.
- IOLA results from the Roy Karr Memorial on 8-9-2014 are now posted. There were 22 entries. Johnny Trammell and Chris Hager both had great tournaments pitching over 10 percentage points over their entry average.
- WICHITA results from the Bill Whitley Open on 8-16-2014 are now posted. There were 22 entries. Gregg Turner had the hot hand in this event pitching a full nine percentage points over his average on his way to claiming the Tournament championship patch with a 61.25% ringer average. Other over average pitchers in this event included Gary Bender, Bryan Strong, Payton Taft and Bret Vogel.
- OTTAWA results from the Summer Heat Open #2 on 8-17-2014 are now posted. There was 31 entries in this event. Welcome to a new NHPA-KHPA member Raymond Kampsen of Vassar. The high over average pitcher in this event was Laura Sullivan. She continues to push her ringer average up every time out. Laura finished in 1st place of D class pitching eight percentage points over her entry average. Other over average pitchers included Jose Keith, George Mundy, Ken Martin, David Carver, Ed Shanley, Charlie Bollinger and Allen Renner.
- SALINA results from the State Practice tournament on 8-17-2014 are now posted. There were 16 entries in this event. Welcome to three new NHPA-KHPA members, Bill Weber of Wakeeney, Edward and Curtis Weber both of Ellis. It is great to see the new membership that is coming in from western Kanas this year. The high over average pitcher in this event was Phil Reed who pitched 5.59 percentage points over his average in his second place finish behind the tournament Champion OraLee Jeardoe. Other over average pitchers included Robert Jamieson (first tournament since shoulder surgery), Dale Clemmer, Cato Hernandez, Melvin Jeardoe and Darrell Keil.
- TOPEKA results for the Pre State Warmup on 2-24-2014 are now posted. This was the largest one day event in Topeka in recent history. There were 51 entrys. Welcome two new NHPA-KHPA members Seth Maixner of Topeka and Doug Parrett of Leavenworth. The high over average pitcher in this event was Darrel Weaver pitching 9.65 percentage points over his average on his way to a first place finish in class G.
Why Not Take a Chance for a Good Cause
While at the state tournament in a couple of weeks it would be a good time to purchase some 2015 World Tournament experience raffle tickets. Since most of you will be going to the World Horseshoe Tournament in Topeka why not take a chance of winning the grand prize of a week stay at the Capitol Plaza, plus much more. Or you could win one of four free entries into the WT. Click this link for more details about the grand prize and contact Melvin Jeardoe or Larry Collette at the state tournament to get your tickets.
- BELLEVILLE results for 8-9-2014 are posted. There were 21 entries in this event. The tournament championship patch went to Melvin Jeardoe holding off Gary Fulton and Robert Washburn who both had their eye on that spot as well. A big thank you to Larry Wise from the NE. charter who introduced a new NHPA member Dale Caldwell from the NE. charter to organized horseshoe pitching. Dale won class C going 6-1 with a 29.9 ringer average. It is always a treat to see someone pitch really well in their very first sanctioned event. I am certain that you will be seeing this young fella again when you make your next trip to Belleville for a horseshoe tournament.
Where Can you Pitch This Upcoming Weekend?
EDGERTON is hosting the EDGERTON SEASON OPENER on Saturday Aug 23 at 9:00 AM. Please pre-register for this single session event with Ed Shanley 913-893-6024.
- TOPEKA is hosting the PRE STATE WARMUP on Sunday Aug 24. This is a two session event with ringer averages up to 30% pitching at 9:00 AM and those over 30% pitch at 1:00PM. Pre-register with Earl Romine 785-256-6123.